Tiger Woods makes it official. He commits to next week's Safeway Open, will play his first competitive event in 14 months.
— Jason Sobel (@JasonSobelESPN) October 7, 2016
The @PGATOUR says Tiger Woods has officially committed to next week's Safeway Open. His last start was August 2015.
— Ron Sirak (@ronsirak) October 7, 2016
It will be Tiger’s first PGA Tour event in over a year. The Wyndham Championship in August of 2015 was his last tour round, while the 2013 WGC-Bridgestone Invitational was Tiger’s last tour win.
On his website last month, the 40 year-old Woods announced that he was hoping for a return at the Napa-based event, but he had yet to make it official.
Hoping to play in Napa, Turkey, and Hero in the Bahamas. Can't wait to compete again. https://t.co/cuNUTQv0NW
— Tiger Woods (@TigerWoods) September 7, 2016
“My rehabilitation is to the point where I’m comfortable making plans, but I still have work to do,” Woods said last month. “Whether I can play depends on my continued progress and recovery. My hope is to have my game ready to go. … It could be a fun fall.”
The Safeway Open will be broadcast on the Golf Channel all four days.