The second round of the 2017 Masters set up for what should be an epic weekend at historical Augusta National Golf Club, with so many potential storylines in the works.
Here’s a look at eight pretty intriguing stories that could play out this weekend.
- Can Sergio Garcia finally win his first major at age 37 and join fellow Spaniards Seve Ballesteros and José María Olazábal as a Masters champ?
- Will fellow Spaniard, and rookie sensation, Jon Rahm capture his first of (what most predict will be) multiple green jackets.
- Can Rickie Fowler break through and win a major as he approaches the prime of his career?
- Can Phil Mickelson top Jack Nicklaus and win at age 46, becoming the oldest Masters winner (by 8 months), while also matching Tiger Woods and Arnold Palmer with four wins?
- Will 57-year-old Fred Couples keep the magic going and make a Sunday run?
- Can Jordan Spieth overcome a round-one quadruple-9 and redeem himself for last year’s collapse on 12?
- Will Justin Rose add a green jacket to his gold medal?
- Can Rory McIlroy win and become just the sixth player to capture the Grand Slam of golf?
No matter the storyline, history will be made at the 81st edition of the Masters. It’s why they call it a tradition unlike any other.