Three-time (British, dare I say the word?) Open champion Tiger Woods has officially withdrawn from this month’s tournament at Royal Troon.
The news comes as little surprise to golf fans, as the 40 year-old Woods has been sidelined with a bad back since last August, with many saying he won’t return until 2017.
To further this narrative, the 14-time major winner appeared on the CBS telecast of the Quicken Loans National last week, and told Jim Nantz that he was “making progress,” but that he was not in “golf shape” yet.
“I keep getting physically better. I just hope that everything clicks in and I can do it sooner rather than later,” he told Jim Nantz last week. “I guess I still need to get in golf shape.”
More news on Twitter.
Tiger Woods to miss The Open. It's the third consecutive major he will not play.https://t.co/IFDwe4DSuU
— PGA TOUR (@PGATOUR) July 2, 2016
— GOLF.com (@golf_com) July 2, 2016